There’s just something about that summertime warmth that awakens and brings everything to life! Although you may not have two months of summer vacation, who says that your summer has to be dull or all about work and no play as an adult? Below are a few suggestions to make sure that Summer 2017 is not only lit, but that it’s your best summer yet.
- Nothing says summer like the beach. Be sure to grab that sunblock (although Black doesn’t crack, you still need to protect your skin), a good book, leave the technology behind and head to the beach.
- Every now and then it has to be just you and your girls. In the words of Beyonce Mission one: I’m-a put this on; When he sees me in this dress, I’m-a get me some, hey Mission two: gotta make that call tell ’em get the bottles poppin’ when they play my song, hey Mission three: got my three best friends; Like we do it all the time, we gon’ do it again, hey Mission four: got the vintage Rolls Drop a couple hundreds, tell ’em leave it at the door
- Take a solo trip to a place that you’ve never been to before. You don’t have to leave the country or even your state to do so! Solo traveling is a great way to learn more about yourself, to do some introspection work and meet new people.
- Do something squishy. By something squishy; do something that you’ve always wanted to do that scares you or makes you feel uncomfortable. For me, that entails reading a piece of poetry at an open mic night; what is that thing for you?
- Be a tourist in your own city. Go to the museums, visit the historic sites and support the local restaurants and business owners around your city. You never know what gems you’ll discover and also what you’ll learn!
- Go to an amusement park and ride a few roller coasters. Don’t forget to grab a piece of fried dough!
- Wake up really early and watch the sunrise. It’s truly one of the most beautiful things you’ll ever see.
- Volunteer your time. You can make this a weekly obligation or a one-time commitment. Look for a cause or an organization that you care about and find out how you can help.
- Have a picnic outdoors!
- For the entrepreneurs and creatives, launch a new product/service, host an event or revamp your brand. And if you’ve wanted to start a business or launch an idea, make this the summer that it gets done!
- Join an outdoor fitness class. Some of my faves include trap yoga and Zumba.
- Go for a scenic bike ride!
- Make your own summer reading list. Some books to consider adding are The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by the awe-inspiring Issa Rae, I’m Judging You Do Better Manual by the awesome Luvvie Ajayi and You Can’t Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by the candid Phoebe Robinson.
- Go to a bonfire and while you’re there, burn anything that you don’t need or want anymore. Maybe that means writing a few things down and tossing that list into the fire!
- Spend some time in nature. When it’s summertime, I find any excuse to go outside. Maybe that means going to the park, public garden or going for a hike.
- If going away is not in the budget this summer do a staycation, just don’t let that vacation time go to waste!
- Redecorate your space. Add in some bright and bold colors. It’s surprising how a fresh coat of paint can transform and revive a room.
- I am a huge music junkie! Make yourself a bomb ass summer playlist. Add songs that remind you of your favorite summers. This playlist is especially useful for those late night summer drives or road trips.
Whatever you do this summer be sure to be active, be present and spend it doing the things that you love because you deserve it! Let us know what you’re up to this summer in the comments section below!