Self-care is one of those topics we hear so much about. Many of us are working women with ambition, brands, side hustles, multiple streams of income and interests. At times, our competing priorities of true love, dedication, and affection are directed toward our pursuits, family, friends and loved ones. This could cause some of us to sideline or completely neglect the self care and love we should lavishly pour into and on ourselves.
However, as the old saying goes “ You truly cannot pour from an empty cup”. You must fill yourself first and then pour out that love abundance into others. Then, you can truly see the manifestation of fullness, completeness, and overflow of blessings and bounty in everything you do.
You may feel like you don’t have the luxury of engaging in self-care, but trust me when I tell you cannot afford to not practice self-care on a consistent basis. It doesn’t have to be extensive every time, but it must be something that allows you to step out of the mode of doing and going, and just allows you to BE. Trust me, once you refresh yourself, take some time to retreat and come back. Your level of creativity, joy, and inner peace will have improved. You can then be the best version of yourself so that you can continue turning everything you touch into gold. So here are some practical tips for everyday, continual self-care practices.
- Meditate and practice gratefulness and mindfulness everyday. It doesn’t matter if you are using guided meditation, making a list of things that you are grateful for, or speaking them out loud, it’s all beneficial to your self-care. Mindfulness, gratefulness, and meditation are powerful tools. A few really great meditation apps are: Calm, Headspace, Helzen, and Stop, Breathe and Think.
- Take some time out for YOU and ONLY you. Whether it’s 30 minutes, a half-day, or a full day take out some time to pamper yourself. Simply get into your zone and happy space. Get your nails, done, hair done, take a bubble bath, dance around your room, get dressed up and throw on your best heels. Take yourself on a date, read a book, pray, get yourself centered, take a walk in nature, and unplug. Get yourself a feel good drink, or eat a meal and really enjoy the tastes while taking in your surroundings. Whatever your pamper and centering looks like, do it and bask in it. Don’t think about your to-do list, all the things you feel responsible or involved with for that time. Just enjoy that space of basking in time for YOU.
- Be kind to yourself. Yes, you have goals. And believe me when you stay focused on whatever they are, YOU WILL reach them. But a HUGE part of self-care is how you talk to and treat yourself. Don’t pick yourself a part. It doesn’t serve you well and it shows up in everything you do the more you do it. You are amazing….you might as well act like it!
- Take care of your temple. Eat great, healthy food that fuel you. Exercise and get plenty of rest. Sleep and DON’T STRESS QUEEN!
- Celebrate where you are as you journey to where you want to be.
- Stop living in others’ expectations of you and what you should or shouldn’t be doing. Follow the leading of your inner peace and spirit.
- Stop pouring yourself into things, people, and spaces that no longer serve you or are constantly taking from you without any reciprocal giving.
- Write out some affirmations that you can believe and say them to yourself until you see the manifestation of them, and they are a regular part of your life.
- Protect your spirit and your heart. Don’t allow poison or toxic seeds to get planted there and become a part of the person you are.
- Allow others you can trust to help you. Don’t attempt to carry the ENTIRE WORLD on your shoulders. You’re amazing, but you’re only human so let others in. Sometimes it’s okay to not be okay. So seek the help or assistance you need when you need it, in whatever way you need it at that time.
Self-care is so essential. So the next time you feel yourself feeling guilty for practicing it, remember those who WERK HARD, deserve to PLAY AND CARE for themselves even HARDER! In the midst of everything, don’t forget to take some time for yourself. Because this world needs all the magic and sparkle you have to offer.