February 14th is the special time of year when most of the world is floating on cloud nine from cupid’s love arrow. Women around the world are focused on securing a valentine, while men are scrambling to find that perfect gift. Everywhere you go you’ll see well-known reminders of Valentine’s Day by the hearts, chocolate candy, flowers, romantic hallmark cards, and couples on dates.
If you’re single, then you probably just want to hid under a rock until Valentine’s day has come and gone. You’ll spend the day second guessing all your dating decisions, and wondering why you’re still single at this age. You’ll take a trip down memory lane to your last relationship by overanalyzing where you went wrong, if you could have tried a little harder, or worse, if there is something wrong with yourself. You’ll begin to doubt your womanhood as more engagement pictures come across your timeline. Before you know it you’ve over-thought yourself into feeling discouraged, depressed, and needing a few bottles of wine so soften the blow.
Have you ever stopped to ask yourself why does love bring about so many negative emotions? When you see others sharing their pictures and memories, you should feel happy for them, right? But what happens when jealousy and anger take over instead? It means there’s something internal that you haven’t dealt with yet. It may be old issues of broken trust, unmet expectations, heartache, feeling stagnant in life, or not letting go of your past. As difficult as it may be to accept, you will never be blessed with a relationship and true love when are constantly jealous of good things happening to other people. You have to find peace within yourself first in order to embrace love from others.
No matter how bad those feelings of anger and loneliness get, remember you are not the first, nor the last person to think this way about Valentine’s Day. Here’s where your mind needs to shift though, it’s not just about intimate relationships, it’s about relationships with friends and family alike. This is a great time to cherish and spend quality time with those in your life. When you surround yourself with love and good company, you’re guaranteed to feel better than ever. This will change your mind from not having that special someone, to instead having several people to enjoy it with. Shift your focus to what you do have instead of what you don’t have. It’s all about perception. If you begin putting out to the world those negative vibes about February and Valentine’s Day, then that’s exactly what you’ll get back.
Here’s a list of suggestions you can follow this Valentine’s Day to get in the mood of celebration.
1. Pamper yourself by making the week all about you. Have a day at the spa, get a massage, or get your nails done. You can get waxed, have your eyebrows threaded and even get a facial. Buy a new outfit, or even those pair of heels you’ve been eyeballing for a while. Do whatever it takes to make yourself feel good. Each day of the week you should schedule something to do for yourself.
2. Have a girl’s night out. Gather your close friends or cousins for some much needed quality time. Focus on bonding with and enjoying one another.
3. Get active by attending any events in your area such as concerts, day parties, a wine walk, or a poetry slam. You can go skydiving, ziplining, bowling, or ride some go-carts. If you want to relax and unwind then find some quiet time to read a book, meditate, or catch up on your favorite TV shows. You can go to the park to walk, run, or exercise.
4. Host a get-together or party. Enjoy the food, hold great conversations, laugh until your stomach hurts, and line dance the night away. Take plenty of pictures and videos to remember this night.
5. Take a road trip, do some sightseeing, or fly somewhere miles away. Everyone loves to travel, especially if you’re in line for a much-needed vacation. What’s a destination that you’ve always wanted to travel to?
Whatever you choose this Valentine’s Day, your main priority should be making yourself feel special and loved, after all, you do deserve it. It’s all about you this year, loving yourself is the gift that keeps on giving!
Share with us below any suggestions that you may have.