Picture From: BlackEnterprise.com
In school we are taught at a young age that reading is important and that it is fundamental. But when was the last time you actually read a book? Does your reading daily consist of Facebook statuses, tweets, or Instagram posts? If you one in this number of individuals who don’t make a habit of reading regularly, you are missing out, reading is important for numerous reasons that are beneficial for you. Here are a few reasons why reading is important:
- Reading reduces stress. No matter what stress you have going from work or your personal life, it leaves your mind when engrossed in good, interesting reading material. An engaging book will keep you distracted in the present moment, allowing any tension to leave so you can relax.
- Reading gives you knowledge. Reading gives you knowledge and helps you become a subject matter expert. Everything you read fills your head with vital information that can valuable to any challenge you face. Knowledge can never be taken from you.
- Reading boosts imagination and creativity. By reading, you can be anyone or anywhere you want. It exposes you to a world of imagination, and credits the saying “nothing is impossible if you believe”. Reading allows you explore things from a different angle.
- Reading helps with self–improvement. Through reading, you begin to understand the world, gain a better understanding of any subject that interests you, thus improving yourself. It creates a gateway to what actions you can take for the future.
- Reading helps with analytical, writing, and communication skills. It helps with being able to communicate orally and to be able to write. Reading helps expand your vocabulary. If the opportunity every presents itself to talk about a book or topic you will be able to deliver your points clearly.
So ask yourself, why are you NOT reading? What do you have to lose?
Written by: Joyrina Hunter