If there is one thing that can take me back to childhood, it’s Belgian Waffles. I confess. I admit. I am crazy about it. It’s something which I haven’t outgrown. Honestly, I can’t even keep track upon how many times I have Begian Waffles in a week. It’s not an addiction, not even an obsession. To me, it’s pure indulgence because I absolutely love Belgian Waffles.
They all appeal to me in a very special way. For the last 5 years, I have been making special notes taken from good home made recipes to the best fast food and fine cuisine varieties that I have tried. I have recently combined all distinguishing flavor and desirable features and created the most luscious Belgian Waffle recipe in my universe. Are you in the quest for an out of this word Belgian Waffle experience? Stop right there and here is my recipe. Enjoy! =)
1 (.25 oz) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm milk (45 degrees C/110 degrees F)
3 egg yolks
2 3/4 cups warm milk(45 degrees C/110 degrees F)
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour3 egg whites
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the warm milk and the melted butter.
3. Stir in the yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla.
4. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with the flour, ending with the flour.
5. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the batter.
6. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
7. Preheat the waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 1/2 cup (or as recommended by manufacturer) onto center of iron.
8. Close the lid and bake until it stops steaming and the waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven.
This batter can be made ahead of time versus on the spot. I make mine the night before breakfast and the results are amazing! There is no other preparation that I have ever tried that melds crisp and fluffiness perfectly together with flavor. To bring out most perfect results, select a profesionally designed stainless steel Belgian Waffle maker that can make extra thick waffles. This is best achieved by waffle makers with round and deep waffle plates which comes with a variable browning knob and indicators that light and beep ensuring the waffles are evenly cooked and browned.
Now, that’s breakfast made to perfection! I enjoy mine served with a tall glass of OJ and honey glazed crispy bacon. What’s perfect in the morning for me could be a good day’s start for you. Bon appetit! =)
By: Tanicia Washington
Brought to you by The Single Wives Club